Saturday, January 12, 2013

Week Two Craft: Fabric Boxes


Sewmamasew.com is where the inspiration for this week's craft came from.











These quilted fabric boxes are just adorable and the tutorial is super easy to follow!  Find the full instructions here: fabric box tutorial.  I tweaked it just a little to make it my own; here is what I came up with: 


My fabric selection was based on what would help me clear out some of my stash.  The only thing I changed was how I finished the top.  Instead of folding and sewing the tops together I thought it might be more fun to add a binding, just like in a normal quilt.

Here's how I did it:
1. Cut a piece of binding that is 2 1/4" wide and 1" longer than the finished box circumference.  This was the 6" box which made the circumference 24".  The 1" is for a 1/2' seam allowance.  
2. Sew the ends together and fold the binding in half. 
3. Right sides together, stitch the binding to the box (I placed the seam on a corner so it would be less noticeable).









4. Bring the binding over to the inside and hand stitch in place.

Can't you just imagine making these in different holiday fabrics as a sweet little way to bring in a touch of the season?







No comments:

Post a Comment