Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Week Five Craft: Funky Valentine Wreath

Wow, can you believe that January is almost over?  Where does the time go?  Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and I was inspired to try my hand at a wreath for the front door.  There are some amazing wreaths out there, but I wanted something a little on the funky side.








My friend had made this super cute spring wreath from Patty Schaffer's blog last year.
















What a fun, whimsical wreath!  I thought it might be fun to put a twist on the "fun fur" idea for February 14.  Here's what I came up with.











Here's what you need to make it:
1 skein of Fun Fur in raspberry
1 12" wreath form (I had a metal one on hand, but a styrofoam one will also work)
Ribbon
White modeling clay












Wrap the yarn around your wreath form.  The Fun Fur is small enough that it is easy to navigate through the hole, and one skein was the perfect amount!  Make sure you wrap tightly.

Roll out your modeling clay like a piece of spaghetti; I used about 1/4 of a two ounce package.  You want it to be about 20" long with 1/4" - 1/2" diameter.  Form it into the shape of a heart.  This is where you can have some fun and really put your own stamp on the wreath.  Instead of trimming the excess I just kept winding the ends until I ended up with these swirls.  Bonus - the holes made the perfect place to run my ribbon and keep the heart straight!  Make sure you create your shape on your baking pan so you don't have to move it once you are happy with the design.  Bake according to directions.



String some ribbon through the heart and through the back of the wreath.














Your wreath 'o love is ready to hang on  your front door!  Happy Valentine's day everyone!  Remember, the people you love should hear it from you every day, not just on the 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment