Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Week Three Craft: Upcycled Shirt


There is something inherently exciting about repurposing (or upcycling) an item.  Like Dr. Frankenstein, you bring bits and pieces together to create new life.  Whether it’s converting an old door to a headboard, turning a spoon into a coat hanger or snipping grandma’s bathrobe into the latest fashion not only are you putting your own stamp on it, you are being a good citizen of the planet.  Waste not want not.

That being said…I’m not sure I’m ready for toilet paper roll art!

Here are a few of my favorites:








old bottles into a chandelier from dishfuntional designs










                         


                    bottle tops into a strawberry basket from nicety










            an old trunk into a love seat from recreate 











One of my husband’s Hawaiian shirts was getting a little frayed around the collar, but I love this shirt and didn’t want to see it go.  Instead of putting it in the rag pile I turned it from Cinderella into :







a totally fun backpack!

I used McCall’s pattern 6663 with a few of my own embellishments.  The shirt pocket was repurposed into the backpack flap for some extra storage and I added a zippered pocket inside as well.  


There’s even enough left for another project.  Hhhmmmm….drink cozy anyone?



No comments:

Post a Comment