Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Week 14 Recipe: Zinged up Chicken Salad

This week's recipe starts with a shout out to Better Homes and Gardens. You can get a a 12 month subscription to their magazine for ONLY $5.99 and...AND they send a daily inspiration email with amazing recipe, gardening and craft ideas. If you don't already subscribe here's a link.  No, I don't work for them or get paid to promote the magazine; I just think it's one of the all time great bargains.

Back to the blog...today's BHG daily inspiration included adding punch to your lunch.  I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that if you pack a lunch day in and day out it can get pretty boring.  One of BHG's suggestions is adding fresh herbs and lemon zest to chicken salad.  Sounded good to me, so I tried it on my chicken salad recipe.  YUM!


Ingredients:
4 oz. chicken breast
2T chopped celery
2T chopped apple (your favorite kind)
4-5 seedless grapes sliced (red or green)
2T light mayonnaise 
1/8t lemon zest
salt to taste
7-10 cilantro leaves
English cucumber sliced thin
Ciabatta roll

1. Combine the first seven ingredients in a bowl and mix well.  I used canned chicken breast - don't judge me.  Yes, I'm sure roasted breast would be better, maybe next time.


2. Slice the ciabatta roll and cover the bottom bun with the sliced cucumber.  
3. Heap the chicken salad on top of the cucumber.  Heaping makes it sound so much more substantial, doesn't it?
4. Place the cilantro leaves on top of the chicken salad.
5. Cover with the top bun, slice and enjoy.



I couldn't believe how much that teeny bit of lemon zest brightened up the sandwich!  You don't really taste the lemon, it just tastes better.  The fresh cilantro also made the sandwich taste better without adding an overwhelming cilantro flavor.  My ciabatta roll was onion poppy seed and that added more dimension too; this whole sandwich was a flavor explosion.

Don't like cilantro?  Try adding parsley, dill or basil.  Don't like cucumber?  Just use lettuce.  Give it a try.  My tuna salad better watch out, because I'm going to give that a makeover too!





No comments:

Post a Comment