Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Week 15 Craft: Spring Hose Wreath

Spring is in the air, the time of year when flowers bloom, birds hatch and if you live in Arizona you turn your air-conditioner on!  This wreath is sold by Plow & Hearth.

It is gorgeous!  It's also $49.95, and I thought I could probably come up with something similar for about half of that.  Here's my interpretation:

Here's what you need:
15' (or so) of hose
Silk flowers
Ribbon
Zip ties
Floral tape
Wire
Wire cutters
Scissors

1. I bought this hose at Target for $10.  It's 50', so I cut it down to size.  Good news...if you purchase extra "ends" you can get three wreaths out of the one hose.  I wanted the taupe hose and couldn't find it in a shorter length.  Here's a photo of the end piece - just work it into the end of the cut hose.

2. Wrap the hose around three times and adjust it to the size you want.  Mine ended up being about 19"
3. Add two zip ties about 6" apart to the top, but don't tighten them all the way.
4. Start adding your silk flowers, working them under the zip ties.  Use the wire cutters to adjust the stems to your desired length.  Use the floral tape if you need to combine the stems if you wish.

5. Once you are satisfied with the arrangement tighten the zip ties and trim the excess.  Note: don't trim too close to wear the zip tie feeds through or it will come apart.
6. Add your ribbon.  
7. Wrap your wire around the hose and make a loop to hang the wreath.


I was able to put this together for around $24.  Michael's had a big sale on their flowers and I lucked into the ribbon for 75% off.  That also left me enough hose, ribbon and accent flowers to make a second wreath.  My suggestion is turn this into a fun friend afternoon, split the cost and you each end up with a wreath for around $16!
The geraniums in the Plow & Hearth wreath are what I really wanted, but Michael's didn't have any.  I'm hitting up Hobby Lobby today to see if they have any.  Darn them for being closed on Sunday!!  Wait...can I go to hell for saying that?




No comments:

Post a Comment