My hubby has been on a real shrimp kick lately, I on the other hand will not touch shrimp. But, because I like to think of myself as a good wife I've been trying to find new shrimp recipes so he doesn't get bored (with the shrimp, not with me). This recipe got a big thumbs up from my shrimp lover, so here it is:
1lb Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1 jalapeno pepper chopped and seeded
2 cloves garlic minced
Juice of 3 oranges (enough for 3/4 cup)
1t reduced sodium soy sauce
1T vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
NOTE: the original recipe also calls for 8oz. of broccoli florets. Broccoli is considered evil and has been banned from our household.
1. In a small saucepan combine orange juice, soy sauce and honey. Bring to a boil and boil until sauce is reduced by half (about 8 minutes).
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the jalapeno and garlic and cook for two minutes.
3. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook until the shrimp starts to turn opaque. Toss the shrimp so it cooks evenly.
4. Add the reduced sauce and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. If using evil broccoli remove the shrimp, add your broccoli to the pan, cook for 3-4 minutes and then add the shrimp before serving.
6. Serve over rice or noodles.
The review from the hubby is that it was very flavorful. The honey really came through with a nice citrus undertone. He tells me the jalapeno did not add too much heat.