Sunday, June 23, 2013

Week 25 Recipe: pepperoni toasts

Technically, this isn't a recipe, but I'm sharing it anyway. This was one of my favorite lunches growing up and I've been known to make it a time or two as an adult. My dad taught us how to make these. I'm not sure quite how describe it... Something of a cross between a grilled cheese sandwich and a pepperoni pizza; let's call them pepperoni crisps.

Ingredients
Slices of white bread
Slices of Kraft cheese
Slices of pepperoni

Turn your oven broiler on high.  Place your bread slices on a foil lined baking sheet.
Cover each piece of bread with a slice of cheese and then put four slices of pepperoni on each slice of cheese.

Place under the broiler and watch it get all bubbly. In my house they aren't done unless the cheese has formed an almost black crust.


The perfect pairing with this gourmet lunch is a nice grape Koolaid.

I know, I know - this cannot be healthy in any way. The grease from the pepperoni soaks nicely into the soft white bread. I make no apologies. This is a pure slice of my childhood heaven. Try it with your kids. They'll be thrilled that they get to create their own mini pepperoni pizza and watch it come to tasty, bubbly life in the oven.


No comments:

Post a Comment