Saturday, July 13, 2013

Week 28 Craft: Painted Oars


Silly me, I made a trip to Pottery Barn this week.  I should know better, because every time I go I end up wanting to totally redecorate my entire house.  Maybe because it's summer and I'm drawn to the water I was inspired by their oars.













The rustic ones are amazing, but a little too rustic, and the navy ones weren't rustic enough.  What's a girl to do?  I guess I'll have to make my own.  


What you need: 
Wooden oars
Sand paper
Craft Paint
Painter's tape
Wood Stain
Polyurathane

The 5' oars were ordered on Amazon from SeaSense; they were only $36 for the two of them.  

1. Put on your iPod and get to sanding!  You want to make sure you remove all the finish from the paddles so that you get good adherence with your paint and stain.

2. Once your paddle is sanded paint with your base coat.  I used Minwax pearl grey tinted stain.  Note: This was my first time using this product.  Maybe the wood in the oars was treated, but this product behaved like paint and not stain.  

3. When your base coat is dry tape off areas to add  your stripes and numbers.  For the number just print one out and tape it over your painter's tape.  Use an exacto knife to cut the number out.  Or...you could use a stencil if you have one handy.

4. Paint your stripes in coordinating colors.  
5. Remove your tape and with fine sandpaper "distress" your oars.
6. Put a small amount of stain on a rag and run it over your oars.  It will not only soften the look of the paint, but will absorb into the raw wood - making the exposed wood look more aged.
Here's a comparison between non-distressed and distressed. 

I haven't decided if I'm going to use wax to finish my oars or polyurathane, but make sure you use some type of finish.









No comments:

Post a Comment